Sunday, September 19, 2010

Watercolor Tree Studies

This is a very cool light painting. To achieve this in watercolor is fairly easy. Lay in your local colorof the tree and the, while it is still wet, lay in your core shadow. To produce light,carefully add water to the side that the light is coming from and the white of the paper and the transparency of the color will do most of the work. Then adjust to your hearts content.

This is a slightly warmer painting. I added a red-orange mix to the lights using the same technique. Very small adjustments can create enormous shifts in mood.

Think of it this way...There is an ocean of possibilities in a single drop of water,

Enjoy...

5 comments:

  1. A really neat trick for a very realistic outcome.
    Jean

    ReplyDelete
  2. Intresting to see the difference between your two tree paintings in watercolour. Both are really nice works and the watercolour paint and water creates great effects. Look forward to seeing more of these in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Caroline for taking a look. I may be entering an exhibition with a watercolor piece. If I do I'll post it. I have a bunch of these laying around the house. I'll try to put together a post with them. I have been busy applying some of the Flemish techniques to watercolor. I hope to get some good results once I simplify a process.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I didn't realise there were Flemish watercolour techniques Gregory. I look forward to hearing more about this and to seeing your paintings. Good luck with the exhibition.

    ReplyDelete